Sunday, March 25, 2012

Distinct Sum - How To?

Hello everybody,
My data looks like this:
Program StudentID CreditHours
MBA 1 4
MBA 2 3
MSC 1 4
MSC 3 8
(student id=1 is in both programs)
Then, based on the above data, I need to do a summary report by program
and grand total. Totals should NOT count the same student twice.
Program CreditHours
MBA 7
MSC 12
--
Total 15
Again, for the grand total I do NOT want to count the same student
twice.
It looks like what I need is distinct sum function, distinguishing
parameter other than the one being summarized (StunentId in this case).
How do I accomplish this with MS Reporting Services?
I remember I was able to accomplish this with Crystal Reports.
Of course this contrived example is only meant to present the problem.
Please advice,
TomaszCountDistinct()
thomas wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> My data looks like this:
> Program StudentID CreditHours
> MBA 1 4
> MBA 2 3
> MSC 1 4
> MSC 3 8
> (student id=1 is in both programs)
> Then, based on the above data, I need to do a summary report by program
> and grand total. Totals should NOT count the same student twice.
> Program CreditHours
> MBA 7
> MSC 12
> --
> Total 15
> Again, for the grand total I do NOT want to count the same student
> twice.
> It looks like what I need is distinct sum function, distinguishing
> parameter other than the one being summarized (StunentId in this case).
> How do I accomplish this with MS Reporting Services?
> I remember I was able to accomplish this with Crystal Reports.
> Of course this contrived example is only meant to present the problem.
> Please advice,
> Tomasz|||kbrennan wrote:
> CountDistinct()
>
Count is not Sum.
Tomasz

No comments:

Post a Comment