Tuesday, March 27, 2012

distinct: removing dups

should be a simple resolution but I'm not familiar enough...

I have the following [simplified] query which generates duplicate rows that I need to get rid of.

SELECT MY_ID, DESCRIPTION, NAME
FROM MYTABLE

When I insert the distinct command, DB2 tells me:
SQL0134N Improper use of a string column, host variable, constant, or
function "DESCRIPTION". SQLSTATE=42907

The datatype of DESCRIPTION is LONG VARCHAR and that cannot change nor the need to query that column. It seems this is preventing distinct from working. It will work without DESCRIPTION being pulled, of course, but again - I need that column.

How do I use SQL to remove the duplicates I am getting since distinct seemingly cannot be used in this scenario ? Can a "WHERE" clause somehow help ?

ThanksCan you use:SELECT MY_ID, DESCRIPTION, NAME
FROM MYTABLE
GROUP BY MY_ID, DESCRIPTION, NAME-PatP|||looks like group by doesn't like DESCRIPTION either... same error.

SQL0134N Improper use of a string column, host variable, constant, or
function "DESCRIPTION". SQLSTATE=42907

No comments:

Post a Comment